We are only accepting associate membership applications until the 31st October 2023. The activities and opportunities we provide at UEA Students’ Union are predominantly for current students studying at the University of East Anglia. However, we recognise that there are individuals that are not current UEA students that may want to become an associate member of UEA Students Union so they can participate in a selection of our activities.
Below are details of what an associate member is, who can become an associate, fees attached to becoming an associate, and the steps an individual needs to take to become an associate member.
Please read our associate membership policy for more information.
Please read UEA Sport's Matrix for insight into associate membership participation with sport at UEA.
What is an associate membership?
An associate membership is there so individuals that are not a current student at UEA can pays to become a member of uea(su).
As an associate member, you gain access to join uea(su) clubs and societies.
Becoming an associate membership does not allow you the right to vote in any election by uea(su) or a uea(su) student group, the right to hold an officer or representative role at uea(su), the right to hold a committee position in a uea(su) student group and you will not be able to participate in BUCs competitions.
How much is it to become an associate?
Associate memberships are available to the following people for a fee of £50. Please note, the £50 fee is a separate and additional fee to student group membership fee charges.
- UEA Alumni
- UEA members of staff
- Current students from University institutions within the United Kingdom, providing that institution is not the University of East Anglia
Associate memberships are available to the following people at no extra cost. Please note, these individuals will still have to pay student group membership fees.
- Current students studying at INTO
- Current students studying at Eastern and Otley College
- Current students studying at City College
How long does an associate membership last?
An associate membership to the Students' Union is only valid for one academic year and expires on the 31st July each year, regardless of when the membership was acquired. This is to keep membership length in line with that of standard UEA student membership.
This means that associate members must renew their membership to the SU and to clubs and societies yearly.
How to become an associate member?
To apply for an associate membership, an individual must complete the associate membership application form and return this form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only forms completed by UEA Alumni, UEA Members of Staff, current students studying at INTO, current students studying at Eastern and Otley college, and current students from University institutions within the United Kingdom, providing that institution is not the University of East Anglia, will be accepted. Incomplete application forms will not be accepted.
Applications for an Associate Membership will be considered on a case by case basis following the submission of the associate membership application form.
A member of staff from UEA Students’ Union will be in contact with prospective associate members following their application with the outcome of their application and further instructions.
UEA Sport+ Membership
If you’re looking to join a sports club, you’ll need to buy uea sport+ membership (previously called SAM) before you can sign up to your preferred sport. The full cost of SAM is £55 per year, which contributes to the cost of sports clubs.
If you are only here for one semester or wanting to take part in a club for only one semester then you can arrange to buy a half uea sport+ membreship.
Your uea sport+ membership fee covers things like:
- coaching and training courses
- travel to competitions and trips
- competition entry fee
- affiliation fees
- first aid
- referee and umpire cost
- external facility and storage
- equipment purchase and maintenance
- other costs associated with the activities sports clubs put on
You only need to buy your uea sport+ membreship fee once per academic year, no matter how many clubs you join, this will be logged on your student account and you should keep you email receipt handy for inspection. Club committee members also need to pay for uea sport+ membreship and their club membership.
PLEASE NOTE: uea sport+ membership becomes non-refundable two weeks after you have purchased it, so if you change your mind about joining a club please let us know as soon as possible. Refund terms are below:
- If a refund request is made within 14 days of purchasing the membership and proof of purchase can be provided, the refund can be paid in full. You must email email@example.com directly to arrange a refund.
- Refunds will be given to students, if they join a single club and they cease to exist.
- Refunds to club subs can be given upon request, but Sports Association Membership is non-refundable after a 14 day period.
- Refunds are not available for any associate members.
- Refunds outside of the 14 day window will be subject to approval by uea+sport staff on a case by case basis and will only be given on an extraordinary basis (please email firstname.lastname@example.org).
Purchase a UEA+ Sport Half Year Membership
Half Year uea sport+ membreship is available from semester one. Only the following individuals are eligible to buy a Half year uea sport+ membership in semester one:
- You are a UEA student doing a semester abroad in term 2 who wishes to buy a half uea sport+ membership for the first semester
- You are a UEA student doing a semester abroad in term 1 who wishes to buy a half uea sport+ membership for the second semester
- You are an international student studying at UEA only in the first semester
- You are an international student studying at UEA only in the second semester
From January onwards, any student can buy the half year uea sport+ membership.
If you log in you should be able to see all your purchased memberships here:
If you would like a refund on a membership we have our terms and conditions below.
Society, Club and UEA Sport Membership Refunds
Society and Club Memberships
- Until October 23rd 2023, if you request a refund for your club or society membership, you will be given an automatic refund that will not need approval from committee.
- After October 23rd 2023, if a refund request is made for a club or society membership fee within 14-days of purchase you will be entitled to an immediate refund.
- If a refund request is made for a club or society membership more than 14 days after purchase, then permission from the club or society committee will be needed. Please note, we are unable to offer refunds for society memberships that amount to £5 or under if the refund request is made more than 14 days after your purchase.
- Associate Membership fees are non-refundable.
- Once authorised, refunds will take up to 14 days to appear in your bank account.
- To request a refund for a club or society membership, please email email@example.com. If after the 14 day window and after 23rd October 2023, the president, secretary and treasuer of the club or soceity that you are requesting a refund from will also need to approve your refund requetst, so please CC them into your refund request email.
UEA Sport Membership (SAM)
- Until October 23rd 2023, if you request a refund for your uea sport membership, you will be given an automatic refund.
- After October 23rd 2023, if a refund request for your uea sport membership is made within 14 days of purchasing the membership, the refund can be paid in full.
- If a refund request is made for a uea sport membership more than 14 days after purchase, it will be subject to approval by uea+sport staff on a case by case basis and will only be given on an extraordinary basis.
- Refunds of SAM and club membership will be given if you join a single club and the club ceases to exist - but you cannot claim a refund for SAM if you are also a member of another club.
- To request a refund please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm Under 18 Years Old
If you are under 18 years old you may still become a member of some clubs and societies, but you will need some extra permissions.
Please read our under 18s in clubs and societies policy for more information.
How do I join a club or society if I am under 18?
To become a member of a club or society as an under 18, you must first complete this form and return it to email@example.com. This form must detail your contact information, your parent or guardians contact information, and the clubs and societies you are looking to join.
Once we have this document, we will contact the committee members of the relevant clubs and societies to ensure they are aware and happy to have an under 18 in their group.
Following approval from the committee members, we will then set you up to purchase memberships to the clubs and societies you have stated you want to join. If you are looking to join a club, you will also be set up to buy your SAM, which is a compulsory fee all club members must buy.
What clubs and societies can I join if I am under 18?
You can join nearly all clubs or societies pending approval from your parent/guardian and approval from the club or society's committee. However, there are a handful of societies that under 18's are not permitted to join even if they have the relevant consent. These societies are Cocktail, Real Ale, and Poker.
You can look at our list of societies here.
You can look at our list of clubs here.