Return to top

Advice logo

Housing Issues

Your acceptance letter has come through and you're off to university, or you're moving from halls to rented accommodation with your friends - great feeling, isn't it? One of the first things that is likely to cross your mind is "Where am I going to live?" or "What will I need to bring?", all of which can be quite daunting especially if this is your first time away from home.

We are here to offer our services and advice to make the process as smooth as possible, giving you the best start with your university experience.

Jump to:

Looking for accommodation for 2023/24

The information below will guide you through your house hunting journey, from deciding who to live with and what type of property you're looking for through to searching for properties, viewings and what to look out for when signing a tenancy agreement.

Living with best friends can be a joy and the start of a lifelong friendship but sometimes living with your best friends doesn’t always work out. Our advice team regularly see students who have fallen out with their housemates, sometimes before the contract has even started and once you have signed the contract there's often no getting out.

When deciding who to live with make sure you get to know any potential housemates. We might not want to admit it but we all have bad habits so now is the time to talk openly about these. Some habits can be ok at first but when you start living together they can get magnified. To help, take our quick test to help identify your needs:

  1. Are you an “owl” or a “lark”? In other words, do you prefer to stay up late or do you like to get up early?
  2. Do you prefer to party a lot or cosy nights in with Disney+?
  3. Which courses are you all studying? If you are a nursing student and on a night placement, do you want to live with the person who is up at 6:30am with the hair dryer blasting?
  4. Will you shop or cook individually or do it as a whole house (can be cheaper)?
  5. Are you ok with other people eating your food?
  6. Most housing contracts for a group of people have ‘Joint and Several Liability’. This means everyone on the contract is responsible for each other. It doesn’t matter who broke the window or who left without paying rent, everyone is responsible. So you need to make sure you know and trust your housemates.

A great way to find people is through the message board and the uea(su) housing group on Facebook where students can post and chat about forming a group.

We also host find a housemate events to help you meet other students and form a group for house hunting or join an existing group. Events will be advertised via our events calendar and uea(su)’s social media, so keep a look out!

Some students prefer to live with people they don’t know. That’s ok too, although we suggest you have some “getting to know you” meetings before you agree to live together.

Some landlords will advertise rooms on an ‘individual basis’. This means that you have your own room but you’ll probably have to share the kitchen, living room and bathroom with others in the house. This also means that you’ll have an individual contract. The advantage of this is that you are only responsible for your rent and cannot be asked to pay if others don’t. On the other hand, the landlord does not have to consult with you when they rent out other rooms in the property.

Find out about the different types of housing contracts here.

Resident Landlords

During your search for accommodation, you may come across rooms which are offered by Resident Landlords. This means that you live with the owner of the property who is not necessarily a student. The landlord may live alone, with their family and with or without other students.

If you rent a room from a Resident Landlord then you will be issued with a different type of housing contract (a licence or lodger agreement) and have different rights to those who sign a tenancy agreement. Find out more by reading advice(su)’s guide on renting a room from a resident landlord.

It’s probably helpful to know a little bit about the size of properties on offer in Norwich. Most properties within the student market have between three and six bedrooms. There are some bigger properties, up to eight bedrooms. Smaller properties such as those with one or two bedrooms are in relatively low supply, particularly in the areas closest to UEA.

Living in Norwich you also have a variety of student accommodation options, from Victorian terraces to modern Purpose-Built Student Accommodation (PBSA) blocks, similar to those found on the campus at UEA.

If you are living with others, then get together and discuss your requirements - make a list to refer back to:

  • Do you want to live in; a house, flat or purpose-built student accommodation?
  • How will you travel to campus and placements?
  • Do you need a parking space?
  • Do you need secure bike storage?

Which of the following are important to you - single/double beds, communal living space, en-suite facilities/number of showers and toilets, garden?

If you haven’t lived in Norwich before you might be wondering where most students choose to live? Which areas are close to campus or the city centre? We can help with that too. View our interactive map to identify the main residential areas in Norwich, where these are in relation to UEA and the city centre, as well as points of interest and walking and cycling directions.

As well as the interactive map, check out our video series ‘A Guide to Norwich’. Our videos focus on the six most popular student areas in Norwich. Watch here for information on average rents, travel to campus and local amenities.

City Centre

The picturesque city centre of Norwich is right on UEA's doorstep, and its streets are packed with historic cultural sites as well as a great range of independent eateries and retailers.

West Earlham

Golden Triangle

University Ward



Most student housing contracts start in August or September although some will start as early as July. Most contracts are for a fixed term of 10, 11 or 12 months.

You will be liable to pay rent as soon as your contract starts, not when you first occupy the property.

Remember not to forget about the end date too, as it is not normally possible to end a contract early and it is likely to cover some of the summer break.

Accommodation costs on top of rent

When you are budgeting for your accommodation costs, it is important to allow an additional amount to cover items such as:

  • Utility bills - gas, electricity and water (see more on this below)
  • Broadband
  • Insurance for your personal possessions
  • TV Licence

Utility bills

If you are currently living on the campus then your rent will include utilities (gas, electricity and water), internet and other services such as cleaning.

In the private sector some rents include all utilities, others include one or two and some won’t include any. If utilities aren’t included remember to allow an amount on top of the rent to cover these extras. As a guide we suggest allowing an additional £50-£60 per person per month. Note, this may not be sufficient for superfast fibre broadband, a phone line and TV package! Also bear in mind that your bills for utilities are likely to be higher during colder months when you have the heating on!

You might find it easier to budget with an all-inclusive rent as you'll pay a set amount each month or you might be happy to pay rent to your landlord or agent and pay suppliers directly for utilities.

There isn’t a right or wrong way but whichever you choose, make sure the budget works for all the household.

Energy Tariffs

If you're paying for utilties on top of your rent, you will sign up to a fixed or default (variable) tariff with your energy provider. Your tariff will be made up of a standing charge and unit rate.

A fixed energy tariff means your unit rates and standing charge stay the same for the length of the contract you agree with your energy supplier. Your bill will vary though as it is based on your actual usage.

Unit rates and the standing charge can go up and down with a default tariff. This means that your bills could increase or decrease, even if you use exactly the same amount of energy each month. Variable tariffs are also subject to the energy price cap, a limit on what your supplier can charge you. Ofgem, the energy regulator, has committed to reviewing the energy price cap twice a year and further rises are expected in October 2022.

Other useful information

Some landlords specify a whole property rent and ask you and your housemates to determine how the rent will be split. Other landlords have a set rent per room and you’ll be asked to pay the corresponding rent for your chosen room.

Find out more about average rents by watching our 'A Guide to Norwich’ video series above.

Postgraduate Accommodation

As a postgraduate student, you can apply for on campus accommodation. Find out more about your options and the application process here.

If you’d prefer to live in the private sector, or want to check out all of your options, then you are also welcome to view our housing list (see 'where to look' below), message board and uea(su) housing group on Facebook.

Some landlords/agents advertising via our housing list state that they are looking for postgraduate tenants. This may happen where spare rooms are advertised and the current tenants have specified that they would like to live with other postgraduate students.

If you would also like to live with other postgraduates and an advert is not specific about the current tenants (if included, these details will be found in the property description) then it will be necessary for you to request further information from the landlord/agent.

The housing list search function also includes a ‘Student Type’ filter and postgraduates is one of the available options.

The message board is also split into different topics, some of which are for postgraduates only.

We do not have any specific postgraduate housing events at the moment but all students are welcome to attend our events. These are listed on the events calendar here.

Family Accommodation

As a student who is a parent, or is expecting a child, you have a lot of extra things to think about and responsibilities to juggle. Whatever your situation, advice(su) can help you with support and information. And if we can’t help, we’ll signpost you to someone who can.

Click on the sections below for further information.

If you are currently living outside of Norwich, whether elsewhere in the UK or abroad, you are advised you to come to Norwich on your own initially. This will allow you time to settle into university life, explore the local area and find somewhere suitable for you and your family to live.

Before you start the process of arranging your accommodation, we strongly encourage you to review all the information below.

Living on campus

UEA has a very small allocation of accommodation for students who will be accompanied by their family (up to two children). This accommodation is always very popular and there is often a waiting list.

If you wish to explore the possibility of living on campus, please contact UEA Accommodation Office for further information by emailing

Private rented sector

Due to the limited number of family houses on campus, it is most likely that you will need to look to the private rented sector. It can be very difficult to find private rental accommodation in Norwich, particularly if you have children and arranging accommodation can take several weeks.

If you and your family arrive in Norwich without somewhere to stay, the university will be unable to offer you accommodation. You will be advised to arrange short-term accommodation in a hotel or self-contained accommodation via Airbnb or similar, so you have somewhere to stay whilst you arrange permanent accommodation. You should consider whether this short-term arrangement will be suitable for your family and if not, explore the possibility of coming to Norwich on your own in the first instance.

There is a hotel on campus called Broadview Lodge and students can book rooms at discounted rates. You can find out more about Broadview Lodge here. There are also many other short-term accommodation options between UEA and the city centre.

There is a high demand for smaller properties (those with 1-3 bedrooms) in Norwich. Rents for a 3-bedroom house start at £975 per month (excluding utility bills) but it may be necessary to pay substantially more than this to secure suitable accommodation.

Where to look

We can offer advice and guidance on where to look for accommodation but please note, we are unable to house hunt on your behalf.

As a starting point, we suggest looking at the Students’ Union’s housing list.

Although the list does not include a specific allocation of family housing, some landlords and agents will be willing to offer their property to you and your family.

Landlords and agents advertising via the Students’ Union’s housing list are encouraged to indicate this on their adverts, by ticking the family option within the suitable for category. It is also possible to filter the results by selecting the ‘Family’ option within the ‘Student Type’ filter.

If a property is not indicated as being suitable for a family but you believe it could be, you can always contact the landlord/agent directly to ask.

If you are unable to find suitable accommodation via the Students’ Union’s housing list, then it will be necessary for you to look elsewhere. You could start by contacting local letting agents. You can try online services such as Rightmove or Zoopla as these platforms show properties offered by multiple letting agents. Please note, these platforms are not affiliated with UEA or UEA Students’ Union and we do not have a relationship with the agents advertising via these platforms.

Finalising your accommodation

Once you have found something suitable, the landlord or letting agent you are renting from is likely to mention terms such as damage deposit, guarantor and Right to Rent check.

Before you finalise your accommodation arrangements, it is important that you are happy with all aspects of the property, the location and the level of rent you are being asked to pay. You will be asked to sign a tenancy agreement. This agreement is legally binding once signed so you cannot change you mind if you then find the property is not suitable for you and your family.

This also applies if you sign a tenancy agreement to rent a room in a property or are allocated a room on campus before your family join you in Norwich. You will be liable to pay rent for the duration of the agreement or licence (the type of agreement issued for accommodation on campus). The landlord/agent may allow you to find a replacement tenant but this is not guaranteed, and you may be required to pay a fee to change the tenancy agreement to remove your name and add in your replacement. This is explained in more detailed in advice(su)’s leaving a housing contract early leaflet.

We also recommend that you be very cautious about paying substantial sums of money to secure a property unless you have viewed the property and/or checked that the agent or landlord you are paying the money to is an established and legitimate business.

If you are unsure about the information you are being asked to provide or requests for payment then request an appointment with advice(su) here. Please select the ‘housing advice or tenancy check’ form.

If we are unable to offer advice then we will signpost you to alternative sources of support.

Suitable childcare is a crucial part of your support network as a student parent. You may be lucky enough to be able to rely on family support for some or all of your childcare requirements, but here are some starting points for your search.

Pre-school childcare

The two basic options are a day nursery or a registered childminder. Apart from cost, factors to consider when choosing between the two are:

  • What you feel would be best for your child
  • Location
  • Flexibility (For example, nurseries can be strict about drop off and pick up times, but a childminder may be willing to be more flexible)

If you live outside Norwich you may decide to look for childcare closer to home. This is convenient for drop off in the mornings, and saves your child a lot of journeys, but can be stressful if teaching/work overruns and you have to race to get back in time for pick-up.

The two nurseries nearest to Campus are:

Both fill up quickly, so plan as far ahead as you can.

If you would prefer to find a childminder, you can search for registered childminders here.

Nursery Schools

Find a nursery school place here.

There are three government-funded early education schemes that offer free childcare for children aged two, three and four:

Click the links above to find out whether you are eligible.


Most children start school full time in the September after their fourth birthday.

If you are moving to the area with school age children or have a child coming up to school age, you can find information on schools and admission processes here.

All schools, nurseries and childminders are regularly inspected by the government and a report is made public. This is called an Ofsted Report. You can check Ofsted reports for schools, nurseries and childminders you are considering here.

Baby changing and feeding

The campus has a dedicated space in the Elizabeth Fry Building, Room 01.09, which can be used for baby changing, feeding and expressing milk.

This room is available to students, staff and visitors. The room requires key access and the process for requesting access is different depending upon whether you need long term access or are just visiting the University and require a one-off use. You can find out more here.

Elsewhere on campus, Union House is a breastfeeding friendly area. If you’re looking for a private room, ask at the main reception upstairs and we’ll do our best to find a suitable space for you.

There are changing facilities in the toilets upstairs in Union House, which are pushchair accessible using the lift on the walkway next to the square. Additional baby changing facilities can be found in the Sportspark, Sainsbury Centre and University Catering Building (adjacent to Blend).

Other facilities on campus

These include:

  • The Medical Centre
  • Boots Pharmacy
  • Dental practice
  • Library
  • Faith Centre
  • Shop (including post office)
  • Launderette
  • Bike Shop
  • Barber and Salon

Information on all the above can be found here.

Parent & Carers Network

If you’re interested in meeting other student parents, find out how to join the Students’ Union’s Parent & Carers network.

The National Childbirth Trust provide antenatal and postnatal courses for new parents and offer ongoing support. They offer discounts on course fees if you are on a low income or receive some benefits. They also organise nearly new sales for baby equipment and children’s clothes, which are a great way of cutting the cost of the stuff you need to get.

If you are looking for some idea for activities with young children in and around Norwich, check out this website. You’ll find soft play centres, outdoor activities and much more!

Castle Carvery

Curious About Norwich Walks
Most walks are push chair accessible and/or suitable for kids over the age of 6

Norwich Puppet Theatre
Shows for kids as young as 3, and occasionally do performances for children younger than that

The Plantation Garden
A really lovely place to just sit and relax and have a picnic, not far out of the centre of the City

The Sportspark at UEA has a lot of family sessions, particularly pool and gymnastics activities

Sainsbury Centre

GRAVITY Trampoline Park at Riverside Norwich offers a wide variety of specialised activities - or simply go and have fun on their wall-to-wall trampolines

High Altitude trampoline park

Roarr! Dinosaur Park
Visitor attraction about 25 minutes’ drive from Norwich, signposted from the A47 near Lenwade, between Norwich and Fakenham

For all the latest kid’s movies

Stay and Play at Norwich School

As a student, you will need to apply to take a break in your studies (intercalate) for the time you need to take off when you are having a child. How long you need to take off will depend on many different factors, so talk it through with your midwife or GP, and your personal adviser, or supervisor before completing the form, or come along to advice(su) where an advice worker can talk through all your options and the financial implications for you.

If you are undertaking an undergraduate or taught postgraduate programme, you should submit Extenuating Circumstances (ECs). ECs must be reported online via e:vision. UEA guidance for using the reporting system is available here.

If you are a postgraduate research student (PGR), you will need to submit a concession request. Before doing so, you should have a conversation with your supervisory team, your School or Institute PGR Director, or the PGR Officer for your Faculty (PGR Service). Further information can be found here.

If you are a PGR student, as well as intercalating, you will need to arrange to take time off from your job for maternity leave. The time you can take off will depend on the individual terms of your contract(s) of employment, as well as statutory rights to take time off. You should inform your employer(s) at least 15 weeks before your due date and when you want to start your leave. If you have a contract of employment with UEA, you can find information on their policies for student parents here.

There may be funding implications for PGR students, so talk to the PGR service about those at an early stage if you can. A health and safety assessment should be undertaken – how in depth this needs to be depends on the type of work and work environment – for example if any toxic substances are present.

While you are away, you may qualify for statutory maternity/paternity/adoption pay if you earn at least £123 a week and will have worked for at least 26 weeks by the 15th week before you are due. Click here for a summary of rights to time off and maternity pay.

Expectant parents are also entitled to paid time off for antenatal appointments. Find out more here.

If you are not currently working, or are self-employed, but have worked for at least 26 out of the last 66 weeks and earned at least £30 a week in at least 13 weeks (the weeks do not have to be together), you may qualify for Maternity Allowance.

For information about the rights of the partners of expectant parents see:

Paternity pay and leave
Shared parental leave and pay
Adoption pay and leave

We are unable to help with queries relating to your finances or visas. The Student Life team within Student Services at UEA are best placed to help with these queries. Find out more at the links below.

Visas (international team)

Take your time to make sure you are prepared for your search. When you are ready, read the next steps of your house hunting journey below (although this doesn't mean you need to start your search straight away!).

When it's time to house hunt...

For most students, UEA on-campus accommodation isn’t available after their first year. This means you will need to look in the private sector, but don’t worry, help is at hand via the Students' Union's online housing list.

Our housing list features a variety of accommodation which is offered by private landlords, letting agents and Purpose-Built Student Accommodation Providers (PBSA). All accommodation providers who are advertising rooms and properties for contract start dates between 1st July 2022 and 30th June 2023 have agreed to comply with our advertising Terms and Conditions.

As well as the housing list, our accommodation website also features a message board where you can post to find other students to group up with or advertise spare rooms.

Current Students

If you are a current UEA student then please login here, using your UEA email address and password (the same details you would use to login to a computer in the library on campus or to access e:Vision).

Once logged in you’ll be able to make direct enquiries to landlord/agents via the internal messaging system, create a hotlist of properties you are interested in and setup alerts to receive emails when new properties meeting your requirements are added to the housing list.

Prospective Students

If you have an offer to study at UEA then you are also welcome to view our housing list and message board. Please create a Student Account here and send confirmation of your offer to Once your account has been activated, you'll also benefit from the account features described above.

There are of course many other landlords and agents advertising accommodation across Norwich who are not advertising via our housing list. It is for you (and your housemates) to decide who you rent from. We’d encourage you to look at our list first as these are the accommodation providers that we have a relationship with.

Looked at the list and can’t find a suitable property? The housing list is updated regularly so don’t be discouraged! Whilst we can’t guarantee that you’ll find the property for you, keep checking the list and sign up to receive property alerts.

We strongly recommend that you view a property in person before agreeing to rent it. Agreeing to rent a property without seeing it in person is risky, as details advertised will not show potential problems with the property and do not always give an accurate impression of features such as the size of rooms.

If you haven't looked for accommodation in the private sector before then you might be wondering what to look out for when you view a property? Use our viewings checklist for tips and to find out some important questions to ask the landlord/agent and current tenants.

Deposits, guarantors and contracts...

Some landlords will ask you to pay a small holding deposit to take their property off the market while they prepare the tenancy agreement for you to sign. This is perfectly legal, but under the Tenant Fees Act 2019, it should be no more than the equivalent of one week’s rent.

If the landlord decides not to proceed then they must refund the holding deposit. However, if you change your mind and decide not to go ahead with the tenancy, the landlord is entitled to keep your holding deposit.

Landlords can also keep your holding deposit if you fail to sign the tenancy agreement by the deadline you have been set. The ‘deadline for agreement’ is normally the 15th day after the holding deposit has been paid although you and the landlord can mutually agree a different ‘deadline for agreement’ which could be more or less than 15 days.

The holding deposit is different to a tenancy deposit (also referred to as a damage deposit) which you will usually have a pay when you sign the tenancy agreement. You should not be asked to pay your damage deposit (or first month's rent) before the agreement is signed.

A damage deposit is a refundable payment that can be used at the end of the tenancy to cover damage and unpaid rent. Under the Tenant Fees Act 2019, a landlord can charge the equivalent of five week’s rent but a damage deposit of one month’s rent is more common.

If you’ve paid a holding deposit then the landlord might ask if you are happy for this to be used as part payment of the damage deposit. This is permitted as long as you consent to the deposit being used in this way. The landlord should ask you to confirm this in writing.

It is a legal requirement for damage deposits to be protected with one of the approved Tenancy Deposit Schemes (TDS). Landlords must protect your deposit within 30 days of receipt and provide you with evidence that your deposit has been protected. If they don’t, you could claim compensation of up to 3 times the amount of your deposit. You can read more about deposits and Tenancy Deposit Schemes here.

Most landlords require tenants to have a UK guarantor, someone who lives and works in the UK and agrees to pay your rent if you are unable to.

If you are unable to provide a UK guarantor then you might be asked to pay rent in advance. You can read more about guarantors and your options here.

It is likely that your guarantor will also be asked to sign an agreement to confirm their commitment to pay your rent if you are unable to.

Landlords/agents are legally required to check the identity of everyone who wants to rent a property to verify that they have the right to rent in the UK. This applies regardless of whether you are a UK, EU or international student.

Read our right to rent leaflet to learn more about the two types of right to rent check and the ID you'll need to have ready to show to your landlord or agent.

Adjusted checks due to Covid-19

Please note, right to rent checks have been temporarily adjusted due to covid-19. It is currently acceptable for a landlord or agent to check your documents over a video call or ask you to send scanned documents or a photograph of documents via email or a mobile app, rather than sending originals.

Adjusted right to rent checks will be in place until 30th September 2022.

Landlords/agents will not be required to carry out retrospective checks on those who had an adjusted check between 30th March 2020 and 30th September 2022 (inclusive).

For any tenancy agreement signed on or after 1 June 2019, there are restrictions on what fees you can be changed as a tenant.

Landlords and agents cannot charge fees for:

  • referencing and credit checks
  • immigration checks
  • renewal of tenancy on the same terms

The fees which landlords and agents can charge (other than rent) are:

  • a refundable tenancy deposit of no more than 5 week’s rent (detailed above)
  • a refundable holding deposit of no more than 1 week’s rent (detailed above)
  • losses or reasonable costs incurred by the Landlord or agent as a result of early termination of the tenancy by you or if you leave without notice. This could be, for example, the balance of the whole rent due for the rest of the tenancy
  • up to £50 (or actual cost if reasonably incurred) for changes to the tenancy agreement including change of tenant
  • payments of bills including utilities, communication services, TV licence and Council Tax
  • interest on late payment of rent, if it is paid 14 or more days late and the tenancy agreement provides for this
  • replacement of a lost keys where this is specified in the tenancy agreement

If you are concerned that you are being asked to pay a deposit or fee which does not comply with the above then please request an appointment with advice(su) here.

A tenancy agreement is a contract between a tenant and the accommodation provider specifying the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.

You should be provided with a copy of the tenancy agreement and be given time to read it and get it checked before signing.

Be cautious of any landlord who puts pressure on you and be prepared to walk away. Good landlords never pressurise and if you’re feeling pressured and uncomfortable at this stage, what will they be like when you actually move in?

Read advice(su)’s leaflet on tenancy agreements here.

Before you sign anything make sure you fully understand your tenancy agreement. Our advice is never sign a tenancy agreement until you know exactly what you are signing up to. In most cases, once you have signed you are legally bound to that contract and it's not possible to leave the contract early, even if you have changed your mind or fallen out with your housemates.

Watch our 'Know before you sign: Tenancy Agreement Workshop' here to find out what it means to sign a contract (using a sample tenancy agreement as an example).

It’s quite common for students to ask a family member or friend to look over their tenancy agreement. Remember, if you're a current UEA student, advice(su) can also help with this too. Request a tenancy check appointment here.

Found Somewhere? Let's Talk Living!

You're in. You've found the perfect housemates, the perfect house and you're raring to go - that's great!

Before you get carried away living your best university experience, there's still some pretty major points to take off that checklist. Below, we've listed some of the key points, from moving in admin to getting your utilities set up. We've also included a section dedicated to problems, just in case anything were to happen during your tenancy and you find that you need the support.

Before moving in

When are they planning to move in? It can be nice to move in at the same time as your housemates but consider whether there is space for everyone to be moving in at the same time!

It is also a good idea to find out what everyone else is bringing with them. You will want to bring some kitchen essentials, such as a toaster and kettle (if not provided by your landlord/agent) but you probably don’t need more than one.

Once you've chatted to your housemates, let the landlord/agent know when you'd like to move in and confirm a time and the process for collecting your key. You do not necessarily need to move in on the first day of your tenancy but you will be liable to pay rent from this date.

Think about who will help you move. Do you have a friend or relative who can drive you to the property or do you need to make arrangements with a removal company?

If you are bringing a car with you, either permanently or just for your move in, check whether you will need a parking permit. Permits are issued by Norwich City Council and the permit cost varies depending on the size of your car. For more information and to apply for a permit, click here.

Pack your personal belongings. Don’t forget:

  • Clothes
  • Bed linen & towels
  • Toiletries
  • Electronics
  • Student essentials (books, stationery)
  • Items to personlise your room (photographs*/photo frames, plants, rug)

*Your tenancy agreement may contain a clause which prohibits the use of blu tac/sellotape or similar to display photographs and posters as these can mark and damage the walls. If you decide to use these then the landlord/agent may make a deduction from your damage deposit at the end of the tenancy to cover the costs for repairs and/or painting.

Research internet providers and discuss the options with your housemates. It can sometimes take a few weeks to arrange the new connection. Some providers will have deals specifically for students so look out for these.

Moving in day

Make sure you purchase a TV licence if you would like to:

  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

If you have an individual tenancy agreement just for your room then you will need your own TV Licence. If you have signed the same agreement as your housemates then this is a joint tenancy and you will probably need one licence to cover the whole property.

If you are buying a new TV licence then this will start from the day you apply for it. Find out how to apply and the latest charges here.

Visit your neighbours to say hello and introduce yourselves. You never know, you might find your neighbours are students too!

Ask the landlord/agent for a copy of the inventory. This will detail the condition of the property and any items provided by the landlord/agent.

The inventory will be reviewed when you leave to determine if any deductions should be made from your damage deposit. For this reason, we advise spending some time to thoroughly review the inventory. If you think amendments are required then let the landlord/agent know. You should confirm these in writing and take photographs too.

Some tenancy agreements will specify a deadline for making the landlord/agent aware of any necessary amendments. Check your tenancy agreement and speak with the landlord/agent if you are unsure on this.

If the landlord/agent does not provide an inventory then it will be more difficult for them to evidence charges for deductions from your damage deposit at the end of your tenancy.

The landlord/agent should have insurance to cover the building and contents they provide but you will need to research and purchase contents insurance for your own personal possessions.

Make sure you know which day of the week your bins will be collected. Ask your landlord/agent or check online here. Norwich City Council operate a fortnightly rota collecting general household rubbish one week and recycling the next. Food waste bins are collected weekly.

It is also a good idea to label your bins with your house number/name. If your bin is lost during your tenancy then you may be liable to pay for a new one.


Ask your landlord/agent to show you where the meters, fuse box and stop cock are. The fuse box and stop cock are extremely important as you may need to access these if there is a plumbing issue or a loss of power.

Safety Certificates

Ask for a copy of the latest Gas Safety Certificate, Electrical Installation Condition Report and Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)


Ask your landlord/agent to show you where your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are located and how to test them.

Contact Details

Make sure you have the landlord/agent's contact details and know who to call in an emergency. It is a good idea to save these details on your mobile phone.

Council Tax is a charge applied by the local authority and covers a wide range of services for residents of Norwich, including waste and recycling collections.

Many students are exempt from paying Council Tax but exemption is not automatically applied by Norwich City Council. All eligible students will be able to download their Council Tax certificate as a pdf from e:Vision. The certificate should then be shared with Norwich City Council.

If you are renting your property as a group then it is a good idea to ask your housemates to download their exemption certificates and attach them all to one email. This email should be sent to and you should confirm the full property address and the start and end dates of your tenancy.

You can read more about Council Tax exemption here, including information for part-time students and those who live with non-students.

Not sure who your current suppliers are? You can ask your landlord/agent for this information or check using the details below:

Decide if you wish to remain with the current supplier or switch to a new one. You have the right to switch and take advantage of better energy deals. This is unless bills are included in your rent. If you decide to switch then make sure you share the names of your new suppliers with your landlord/agent.

Contact your chosen supplier. You will be asked to confirm:

  • the date on which your tenancy started
  • the date you moved in
  • the full property address (including postcode)
  • your contact details
  • how you wish to pay
  • the latest meter readings

During your tenancy

We hope you have a great time in your rented accommodation but if you've moved in and renting is not working out as you'd hoped, advice(su) are here to support you. Whether you are renting from a Home Run landlord or not, you're not on your own. Where possible, an advisor will provide you with the guidance and tools to resolve the issue yourself, or to avoid them happening in the first place. If that’s not possible, we might talk to the landlord/agent on your behalf or advise you about further steps you can take.

In the sections below we've covered some common topics which can arise during a tenancy. If you've read the information below and would still like to chat with advice(su) then please request an appointment here.

Take a look at advice(su)'s leaflet about rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants.

Can I end my tenancy early?

Most student tenancy agreements are issued for a fixed term of 10, 11 or 12 months and do not contain a 'break clause' allowing you to give notice to end the tenancy early.

Your tenancy agreement is legally binding. If you are thinking about leaving before the end of your contract, whatever the reason, make sure you know what the legal implications are before you make any decisions. Start by reading advice(su)'s leaflet on leaving a housing contract early and checking if there is a break clause in your tenancy agreement. If you're not sure, contact advice(su) to get your agreement checked.

Some landlords and agents will allow you to leave early if you find a suitable replacement tenant. Note, if you and your housemates are all named on the same tenancy agreement then your housemates will also need to be happy to live with the replacement tenant.

How can I find a replacement tenant?

As long as you have permission from your landlord/agent, you can use the Home Run Message Board to advertise your room. The message board is split into different categories and we suggest posting within 'Accommodation Available' and 'Find a Flat Mate'. You can also check the posts within 'Accommodation Wanted' and reply to posts if you believe your room might be suitable.

Many students also use the uea(su) housing group on Facebook to advertise spare rooms. Request access to the group and you will be approved once your UEA affiliation has been confirmed.

If you are renting from a Home Run landlord or agent then they may be willing to advertise your room via the housing list. Please note, requests for advertising rooms via the housing list must come directly via the landlord or agent.

If a current or prospective UEA student contacts us to say they are searching for accommodation in the private sector then they will be referred to the Home Run housing list, message board and uea(su) housing group.

It is always a good idea to develop and maintain a good relationship with your landlord/agent. Read our good landlord and tenant guide for some useful tips.

Which repairs is my landlord/agent responsible for?

advice(su)'s leaflet on repairs to your home looks at the responsibilities of the landlord/agent (and tenant) when it comes to different types of repair.

You can also look at your tenancy agreement to check the repairs your landlord/agent is responsible for. If you are in any doubt, contact advice(su).

How should I let my landlord/agent know that a repair is required?

It’s fine to call to report a repair, but always follow it up with an email. It will help if you need to chase up the repair later. Landlords/agents should carry out repairs within a reasonable time. What is reasonable depends on factors such as how major the repair is, whether there are safety implications, and whether there are any temporary fixes which could be used while you are waiting.

It’s a good idea to request repairs as soon as you notice something. If you leave it and it gets worse (and more expensive to repair) it could affect your deposit.

During the colder months and in rooms where we create extra moisture (bathrooms and kitchens), it is quite common to see the signs of condensation. It is extremely important to control condensation around your home as if not, you may start to see signs of mould growth, and trust us when we say that no one wants that!

Mould can damage paintwork and personal belongings and if you have not taken measures to prevent condensation and mould growth, you may find that money is deducted from your deposit to complete the necessary repairs at the end of your tenancy.

Read advice(su)'s leaflet on preventing damp and condensation for some helpful tips to reduce condensation in your home.

There are some simple things you can do to make yourself more secure in your home. They might seem obvious, but they are all important:

  • always make sure your front and back doors are locked when you leave the property, are home on your own and before going to bed at night. If you are living with others then it can be tempting to rely on housemates but a quick check before bed will take less than a minute! If you are burgled and it is determined that your house was left insecure, your contents insurance may not be valid.
  • check with the landlord that previous tenants returned all their keys
  • do not attach any identifiers on your keyring which could identify your property
  • draw the curtains when it gets dark
  • never leave cash or valuables on view in your room
  • it's best not to leave a spare key in a hiding place outside as an intruder could find it
  • keep a key inside the house where you can find it easily in the dark, so if there is an emergency (e.g a fire) during the night, you can leave the building quickly
  • shred bank statements and other documents with personal details on when disposing of them

Call into our office in Union House

Normally advice(su) is based in the Advice Centre, opposite Grab & Go within the main Union House building. At the moment the physical Advice Centre is closed and all advice(su) staff are working remotely.



01603 593463

Please note, due to the closure of the Advice Centre, this number is not currently staffed. You are welcome to leave a message. The best way to get in contact is to complete one of our contact forms via the links above.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.

Time To Move Out?

It happens to everyone, eventually you're going to have to move out - hopefully you've made plenty of incredible memories during your stay at your current house, but it's time to move on.

Much like moving in, this can be a very busy time for you; notifying your landlord, arranging movers, CLEANING. It's best to keep a list, which is exactly what we've done below to help the process!

Preparing to leave

There can be lots to think about when moving out so make you sure you've read our move out checklist.

The most common cause of deposit disputes in the private rented sector is cleaning! Cleaning was mentioned as a reason for a deposit dispute in 49% of cases submitted to the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (one of the approved deposit schemes) in 2020/21, and that's why we've created a separate cleaning checklist.

Don't be tempted to leave the cleaning to the morning of your move out! In almost all cases, this won't be long enough.

If you are an Assured Shorthold tenant (most students in student accommodation are) then your landlord or agent should protect your damage deposit in one of three government approved deposit schemes within 30 days of receipt. Failure to do so could mean you are eligible to claim compensation of up to three times the amount of your deposit.

If you are approaching the end of your tenancy and can't remember which deposit scheme your landlord or agent used then it's worth checking before you move out. Ask your landlord/agent to confirm, look at your tenancy agreement or check directly with the deposit scheme websites. You'll need a postcode, surname, tenancy start date and deposit amount to search. Links to the three government approved schemes are below:

No luck using the online searches? Don't worry, you can also call the schemes on the numbers below:

  • Deposit Protection Service:
    0330 303 0030
  • MyDeposits:
    0333 321 9401
  • Tenancy Deposit Scheme:
    0300 037 1000
  • If you have reason to believe that your deposit has not been protected then contact advice(su) for advice on what to do next.

If you're continuing as a UEA student, moving soon and haven't arranged new accommodation yet then we suggest you start your search with the Students' Union's housing list. This is where landlords and agents who we have a relationship with (and agree to our advertising terms and conditions) advertise properties and spare rooms. Alongside the housing list, we also have a message board where students advertise spare rooms and look for housemates.

If you're graduating and staying in our wonderful city then you can use online search platforms and contact local letting agents. If you require housing advice or support* once you have graduated then please contact the housing charity Shelter England or Citizens Advice.

*advice(su)can offer support and guidance after you've graduated if the issue you wish to discuss relates to a tenancy you held during your time as a UEA student.

Once you've moved out

You've moved out of your rented property and would like your deposit back - what happens next?

advice(su)'s leaflet on deposit and deposit schemes describes the deposit return process. Contact advice(su) here if you have any queries relating to the return of your deposit or require additional support.

You can help other student renters make informed decisions about where they live by leaving a review on Marks out of Tenancy. This is your opportunity to let others know your thoughts on your landlord/agent, property and neighbourhood.

If you are looking to rent in the private sector, whether you are staying in the student market or not, remember to check Marks out of Tenancy to see if there is a review on your prospective landlord/agent, property address or neighbourhood!

Advertise With Us

Interested in advertising with us, exponentially increasing the reach of your housing adverts with the UEA student population? We'd love to hear from you.

If you have any queries that aren't answered by the information presented below, please get in touch.

We provide students with a platform to find private sector accommodation and offer providers of accommodation the opportunity to advertise their properties to UEA students via an advertising only service. This applies to advertising of tenancies with contract start dates between 1st July 2023 and 30th June 2024.

Our advertising only service is open to both existing and new landlords, letting agents and providers of purpose-built student accommodation (PBSA).

Please note: our old accreditation scheme closed on 30th June 2022, and we no longer accept registrations for accreditation. However, you can register to join our advertising only service.

Unlike the general private rented sector, it is very common for students to arrange their private sector accommodation many months ahead of their contract start date and the start of the new academic year.

We start to approve requests to advertise properties for the next academic year from 15th November. Despite this, our main message to students through the first semester is ‘don’t rent yet’ and we will not actively market our housing list until the 'Ready to Rent' campaign starting in January. 'Ready to Rent' is a series of workshops and events aimed at helping students prepare for house hunting and make informed decisions about where they choose to live. We also cover topics including tenancy agreements, finding housemates, deposits and how to be a good tenant and neighbour.

We believe that this will benefit our students and you, by knowing that your next tenants will have the best understanding of their responsibilities.

It is our experience - as the leading housing support provider to students in Norwich - that students are far more likely to approach us regarding issues with their houses, housemates and landlords, looking for the possibility of ending their contract early (and in some cases before the tenancy agreement has even started) if the tenancy agreement was signed during the first semester.

There is no evidence to suggest that properties advertised from January are less likely to be let than those advertised from November. In fact, during a normal year, our statistics show that January is the month where we see the most engagement with the housing list and the highest number of let rooms and properties.

We would ask you to support us in preparing your next tenants by avoiding practices which encourage students to commit to a house too soon.

Complete our registration form to join our advertising only service. On receipt of your form, we will:

  • create your landlord/letting agent account on Studentpad, our property management system
  • contact you by email to confirm your login details

You will be required to upload your property information:

  • photography/video content,
  • safety certificates and
  • submit payment of the advertising fee via the Studentpad control site

On approval of your property advert/s, you will also receive a password to access the housing list and a copy of our Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement.

Before submitting your form, please ensure that you have read our advertising only terms and conditions.

Please click the link below to view our privacy policy.

If you have any queries regarding our advertising only service or the registration process then please get in touch by emailing

HomeRun - The Home Of... Homes!

HomeRun is the only official service that is dedicated to helping UEA students find good quality & affordable private sector accommodation in Norwich. The service is owned and run by UEA Student's Union and is partnered with UEA and Marks out of Tenancy. Home Run ensures that students are in the best position possible when looking to secure a home and offers the largest listing of student housing in the region. The Home Run housing list currently has 800+ accredited properties, offering in excess of 2000 bed spaces throughout Norwich.