Return to top

Advice logo

Health & Personal

Your health can take many different forms, not just what you can see - your Students Union wants you to have the best possible time with your university experience and that means taking care of yourself to ensure you get the most out of your time at UEA.

No matter the problem, you will always be taken seriously, you will always be heard and we will always do our utmost to provide the support you need.

Jump to:

Mental Health

If you’re feeling low, anxious or concerned about your wellbeing, the UEA Wellbeing Service is here to help.

All Mental Health Advisers in the Wellbeing Service are experienced mental health professionals who can give you the advice, support and guidance you need. They can discuss your needs and ensure you have support. You are able to access support whether you’re currently studying or taking a break.

Personal Health

At uea(su), we work with your Student Officer Committee and Union Council to ensure that we are able to provide you with resources and products to help with your sexual health.

We currently offer availability of free tampons and sanitary towels in the Gender Neutral Toilets in the Hive - Ground Floor of Union House - and will keep this stocked during term time.

We also have a limited supply of Period Cups which are available free of charge should a UEA student wish to apply for one. To apply please complete the form below, and a member of our team will be in touch:

Physical Health

There is a range of services available to students at UEA for support with their physical health.

NHS 111 is an online and phones service you can use if you have health issues but are unsure where to get the right support. By following the online questionnaire you will be advised as to what you should o to treat your symptoms, whether you need to buy medication from a pharmacy, speak to a health practitioner, visit your GP or attend the Hospital. visit

UMS provides GP services for UEA students. The surgery is located on the corner of Bluebell Road and University Drive (near INTO)

For appointments call: 01603 251600

You may need to visit the UMS for:

  • Non-emergency medical treatment
  • To get a medical certificate to cover absence or if you are too ill to take an exam, or need a time extension for assessed work (see “Exam Help “ and “Extenuating Circumstances” on our Academic advice pages)
  • Travel vaccinations

You will need to register as a patient of the practice to get treatment or certificates. Check this page to see if you can register. (Non-UK students may have to pay for treatment if they are only in the UK for a short-term visit (3 or 6 months)).

UMS also provides occupational health services for UEA students.

If you are unwell and unable to attend lectures or seminars, you should use the UEA absence reporting page on e:Vision. All students should report absences, but it is especially important for international students and students on some professional courses to make sure they use this system.

You can see the full guidance, and an explanation of how to use the absence reporting system here.

There is a Boots Pharmacy next to UMS where you can:

  • Get prescriptions filled
  • Get home remedies for minor ailments
  • Get advice on minor illnesses

There is also a dental practice in the same building as UMS – click here for more details, or contact them on 01603 592173.

The UMS website is a comprehensive directory of all medical services available on campus.

uea(su) has partnered with the Terrance Higgins Trust to promote safe sex. We are a designated centre to provide free condoms and c-cards provided by the Trust. We also hold a small number of chlamydia tests available.

Simply drop-in to advice(su) (opposite the grab&go), no awkward questions asked! To find out more about the work of the Terrance Higgins Trust and their work click here.

Free condoms and pregnancy tests can also be obtained from the Nightline office during their operating hours.

If you are looking for advice regarding sexual health you have a couple of options.

You can use the University Medical Centre, or if you prefer, iCash - Contraception and Sexual Health Service. iCash provides a complete range of service including all methods of contraception, pregnancy testing, STI testing and treatment, support for victims of sexual assault and counselling about sexual problems. Call 0300 300 30 30 for a clinic appointment or click here for more info.

The Matthew Project offers free confidential advice for drug and alcohol problems. Helpline for over 18s: 0300 7900 227.

Outside office hours, you can call Talk to Frank on 0300 123 6600 for provide 24/7 confidential advice and support.

For information and resources on alcohol and drinking, click here.

Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings

What is AA?

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of people who come together to solve their drinking problem. It doesn’t cost anything to attend A.A. meetings. There are no age or education requirements to participate. Membership is open to anyone who wants to do something about their drinking problem.

A.A.’s primary purpose is to help alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

AA Meetings - Every Wednesday, 7PM to 8PM


Settling into university can be an overwhelming experience. Whether you’re from a different country or county, buddy(su) is designed to help UEA feel like a second home. All our trained volunteers are already students from UEA who have completed at least one year of study. These peers can help students struggling with university life, and are matched according to their needs, circumstances and interests - such as area of study and hobbies. From helping attend clubs and societies, to going for coffee around campus, buddy volunteers help combat loneliness and ensure everyone feels like they belong.

Whether you want to know the best place to study on campus, learn a new skill or meet new people, there’s no one better to help than a buddy!