Return to top

Advice logo

Academic Issues

We understand there are a lot of pressures students face whilst at University. At advice(su), we want to help you make those pressures manageable by supporting you to raise problems with the University when things don't go quite right for you.

Jump to:

Not Happy With Your Marks?

We all know that things can impact us in a way that means we don't perform to the academic standard we would normally do.

If you feel that your marks are not a true representation of your academic ability and you were impacted by something outside of your control, we've set out the options for you below.


You can use an academic appeal to challenge an academic result, if you can show that you have one of the reasons for appeal allowed under UEA regulations. If an appeal is successful, you could be offered a remedy such as:

  • An extra attempt at one or more assessments
  • That one or more re assessments is treated as a delayed first attempt
  • (In the case of finalists only) that your degree classification is uplifted

In most cases you can’t get a mark changed without doing a resit. If you think a mistake has been made in marking, you may be able to apply for a remark, information for which you can see below.

There is a 10 working day time limit for submitting an appeal, from the day after you receive your official result (confirmed by the exam board) and not the first time it appears on e:vision. This time limit can be flexible at the discretion of your school. You must work to this deadline or ask for written permission from your school, via LTS, if you need an extension.

It is really important that your appeal explains why you think that one (or more) of the permitted reasons (“grounds”) for appeal applies to you. It is not enough to be dissatisfied with your results.

An appeal will only be upheld any of the following are found:

  1. Correct Procedure was not followed which undermined the validity of a result
  2. Prejudice and/or bias affected the academic result
  3. Significant changes were made to a course without being properly communicated
  4. The teaching, supervision or research training was insufficient
  5. Extenuating Circumstances (EC’s) were not fully and properly considered
  6. Natural Justice dictates that the appeal be upheld.
  7. The learning support provided was unsatisfactory or inappropriate
  8. Your performance was affected by EC’s not previously considered (only when late submission is approved by the Academic Director of Taught Programmes).

Before you make an academic appeal, wherever possible you should contact your Head of School to ask for an informal resolution. You need to put the same information in your email to them as you would provide in a formal appeal.

To make a Stage 1 Academic Appeal, you need:

  • A written statement explaining what your reasons for appeal are and setting out all the relevant events and explaining why those mean your appeal should be upheld.
  • supporting evidence for your appeal, such as medical evidence, evidence from emails or supporting letters from friends or family.

Statements by friends and relatives should be signed and dated and include contact details and confirmation that they consent to the statement being used for your appeal.

When you have written your statement and gathered your evidence, you should to complete this online form and upload your statement and evidence. Before you do that, why not ask advice(su) to check that you have included everything you need in your appeal?

If you cannot access the online form because your UEA account has been closed, contact SIZ to request your account is reopened.

Drop into the advice centre, and one of the team may be able to help by:

  • advising what grounds you may have for an appeal
  • explaining possible outcomes of a successful appeal
  • providing feedback on your draft appeal before you submit it
  • advising on what sort of evidence you need to provide

Once you have submitted your form and evidence using the online form linked in above, you will receive a letter acknowledging receipt of the appeal within 5 working days from LTS. This will likely also inform you of and informing you of when the next Faculty Appeals and Complaints Panel meeting is, which is the panel which will consider your academic appeal, reasoning for submission and evidence provided. This meeting will not be more than 20 days from the date of the appeal submission. Once this panel have considered your submission they will make a decision of whether to uphold or reject your appeal and further details as to what happens next if it has been upheld.

The decision will be communicated to you by LTS, usually within 10 working days of the Panel meeting and making a decision.

The timescale from start to finish can take up to 6 weeks and in some instances may take longer. In many cases that will mean that you will need to interrupt your studies if your appeal is successful.

End of the Year Results Support

Will my situation be better?

Looking forward at the year ahead and taking in to consideration your situation now and what additional support might be put in place for you, do you think this coming year will give you a better chance to perform to your best academic ability?

Should I make the request now or see how I do in my reassessments?

If you have not passed coursework and exams and have been sent to reassessment, you could wait and see how you get on in your reassessments before making the decision.

However, if you take your reassessments and fail them you are likely to be withdrawn from the course (this doesn’t apply to those taking delayed first attempts in August). If you are withdrawn from the course you will need to make an academic appeal against withdrawal in order to request to repeat the year. It might be better to request a repeat year or appeal now and ask for a delayed first sit, if you have grounds. The appeal process takes 4-6 weeks and if you wait to appeal until you get resit results, there may not be time for you to go through the appeal process following withdrawal from the course to enable you to start studying again in September if your appeal is upheld.

If you find yourself in this situation you may be looking at taking a break in studies before you are able to return for the next academic year.

While this may seem worrying, we're not looking make anyone unduly concerned. We want you to be as informed as possible in order to make the best possible decisions.

If you feel, based upon your current situation, you are unlikely to perform at your best in this upcoming assessment period and would like to repeat the year then this is an option you should consider. To have a chance of starting a repeat year this September, you would need to start the process of requesting it before the resits.

Can you afford a repeat year?

If you are studying with the financial support of Student Finance in terms of receiving Tuition Fee and Maintenance loans, and you have never repeated a year, you should receive a further year's funding.

Eligibility for student finances is worked as follows:

  • length of course + 1 additional year – previous study (HE study regardless of whether Student Finance was taken or not) = funding available.
    • Example 1.
      Johnny is in his 3rd year of a Drama degree. He is in his final year and hasn’t repeated a year before but has requested to. For him the calculation would be:
      3 years (length of course) + 1 additional years – 3 years (the three years study he has just completed) = 1 years available funding.
    • Example 2.
      Jess was also studying Drama and in her 3rd year but she had completed a year of Biology before switching to Drama. For her the calculation would be:
      3 years (length of course) + 1 additional years – 4 years (the 3 years study she has just completed on the Drama course and the 1 year doing Biology) = 0 years available funding.

This is another option available. If you think you won’t perform well in the August assessment period due to things outside of your control, but do not wish to repeat the year you could request a break in your studies and defer you reassessments until the assessment period next year.

It’s important to note that while you are on a break in studies you will be unable to access academic support during this time therefore most of your learning and exam prep will need to be self-led. You will, however, continue to have access to the Library and course materials online.

Again, you can make this request by submitting an extenuating circumstances report form.

Getting A Re-Mark

Re-marking is only available for work which has not been double marked. If work has been double marked, you may be able to appeal, once the marked is confirmed, if you have a good reason for an academic appeal such as extenuating circumstances.

You cannot ask for an exam or an OSCE or OSPE to be re-marked, even if it has been moderated rather than double marked.

You must make the request within 10 working days of publication of the mark on eVision. If you think that the mark has been incorrectly recorded on e:Vision, raise this with the Hub so that this can be checked.

If you have grounds for an appeal but instead request a re-mark and are given one, a later appeal could be rejected.

Before you ask for a re-mark, you must ask to see the marker to discuss for the reasons for the mark. If you have discussed the point by email, you can use copies of the emails to prove this. If the marker does not respond to requests for a meeting, come and talk to us at advice(su).

Once you have decided that a re-mark is your best option, you should complete form LTS005 and hand it to the Hub.

On the form, you will need to show that one or more of the following reasons applies, and produce evidence that:

  1. the mark is not consistent with the feedback given
  2. feedback suggests that part of your submission has not been considered
  3. the assessment criteria have not been appropriately applied

The evidence needed might include:

  • a statement from you quoting the feedback showing that it appears that the marker has failed to mark part of your work, (for example, the feedback says that you did not mention a point that you have covered in your work); or
  • a copy of the feedback and a statement from you explaining why it does not address points in your work, giving examples; or
  • evidence showing why the marking does not meet the assessment criteria given for the work. This could be a statement from you giving examples of where the marking does not reflect the published assessment criteria.

When your work has been remarked, if there is a difference between the original mark and the second mark, the Director of Learning and Teaching for your School will adjudicate and award a mark. Remember, this could be lower than your original mark.

Worried About Your Studies?

There are many reasons why your ability to study to your maximum potential might not be possible right now. If the above appeals process is not likely to help your situation, you can always apply under extenuating circumstances.

Extenuating Circumstances

If your ability to study, complete coursework or exam performance is negatively affected by external factors outside your control this is known as an “extenuating circumstance”.

As a UEA student if your performance is, or is likely to be, affected by extenuating circumstances you have the right to ask for those to be taken into account when your work is being assessed. It is essential to let the University know as soon as you can about any issues so that they can be taken into account when decisions are made about matters such as time extensions, academic results or progression.

ECs must be reported online via E:vision by students on undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes. UEA guidance for using the reporting system is available here.

Your EC report is more likely to be accepted if you:

  • give enough detail about the circumstances and how they have had an effect on your study
  • provide appropriate supporting evidence (unless you are using one of your self-certificate extensions)
  • make sure they fit within the EC guidelines followed by the UEA. You can see these here.

You can ask for two extensions of 7 calendar days in each academic year without providing supporting evidence, but you still need to give a valid reason for needing extra time.

The boxes where you complete details of the circumstances and the impact on you have a 200 character limit. This is unlikely to be enough space for you to explain your ECs in enough detail. In that case, type in "Please see email" and include a full explanation in an email to the Hub

  • If you are asking for more than one thing (for example - a time extension and consideration of your circumstances by the end of year board), you must submit separate reports for each.
  • If you have a problem with an assessment (for example missing an exam because of illness, or are late submitting work) you must make an EC report within 2 working days of the exam or submission date.
  • If you are requesting a third extension or an extension of more than 3 days or using the form for anything other than an extension, you will have to submit evidence by email to the Hub. Make sure you list your evidence on the form and email it to the Hub within 5 days.
  • If you are unsure about how much detail you need to give or what evidence you need to provide, come and see us. You can also download our info guide on the process here. You may also find our advice guide on providing supporting evidence useful.

You can check deadlines for submitting ECs for your course using the tool on this page.

ECs relating to exams and assessment events should be reported within two working days of the exam /hand-in date wherever possible and if that is not possible you must say why there has been a delay.

Our advice team have a wealth of knowledge and experience in dealing with extenuating circumstances. We offer appointments by phone, face to face, Microsoft Teams or by email.

In your appointment, your advice worker will discuss with you all of the options open to you and provide you with their advice on what course of actions you should take. Whether in the meeting or later your advice worker can help you make contact with the University and others if more information is needed, support you in completing your extenuating circumstances form, find the right language to express your situation and be a point of contact should you have any questions or issues.

During the summer term, we run workshops to help with reporting ECs in the run-up to the exam period. Experienced advisers explain everything you need to do and how to put your evidence together, plus answer any questions you have.

Don't drop out, drop in!

Struggling? We have trained, experienced and independent advice workers available for you to talk to about any aspect of your life at UEA; welfare issues, UEA disciplinary issues, fitness to practise, school/welfare engagement, results, accommodation, issues with your course, issues with campus facilities, off-campus housing, and more - if we don't know the answer we will signpost you to the right place.

Click on the link below to book on a drop-in session.