outside events

Outdoor Space events

To obtain permission to have an event in an open space on campus (anything outside of buildings), it needs to be approved by the University's Event Permission Group. These are elected respresentatives from several areas of the university, who consider the implications of the event on the surrounding area.

To do this, you must complete an Event Permission Form (under documents and forms at the bottom of the page) and risk assessment to cover the event. This must be submitted with Alys Elvin's approval once the forms are completed and you are ready to send them. Please ensure you have allowed 4 - 6 weeks notice of the event.

Please send your completed documents to to approve. Once we have approved your application, we will send it onto UEA Open Spaces team to approve and liaise with you directly.



Information on how to book a BBQ can be found here. 

A BBQ for 12 or less students can be booked by completing the form on the page here. On weekdays you will usually have a response within 24 hours.

All BBQ’s for more than 12 people must complete an Event Permissions Form and fill out a Risk Assessment, whether clubs, societies or schools. Bookings for more than 12 people must be from a SU Club or Society or from a UEA Department or School. Individuals can only book for a maximum of 12 people. Find out more here.


Other external events/activities

If you are planning any other event or activity on campus, please make us aware of this and send us through all contracts before signing anything. If your event involves an external venue, such as playing rounders in a local park, you will just need to make sure you send a risk assessment through to us to sign off before your event takes place. You can send these through to