Thank you for expressing an interest in volunteering with buddy(su)! Below you will find an overview of the buddy(su) volunteer role.
Volunteering with buddy(su)
- Have been at UEA for at least one academic year
- Are continuing your studies for the 2023/24 academic year
- Are available from July 2023 to contact your buddy once matched and meet your buddy in person during Welcome Week. Initial introductions are made via email so you do not need to be in Norwich over the summer
- Can offer 1-2 hours of support per week for the 2023/24 academic year
- Are keen to help new students feel at home at UEA
We’d love to hear from you!
You can also choose the number of students you wish to support, up to a maximum of three. Full training will be provided and must be completed before you are matched. Students at all levels of study are welcome to volunteer.
During your time as a buddy(su) volunteer, we expect you to:
- Engage with your buddy and support them to settle in, discuss any concerns they have and help them to feel part of the UEA community.
- Have knowledge of the support services available to students at UEA and signpost as and when required.
- Regularly check in with your buddy. This might be as simple as sending an email or arranging to meet for a coffee on campus.
- Encourage your buddy to get involved with clubs, societies and events.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Respect different cultures, backgrounds and pronouns.
- Report any safeguarding or health concerns.
- Let us know if your match isn’t working out or you can no longer volunteer with buddy(su).
If you have any questions about volunteering with buddy(su), please check the FAQs or email us.