officer blog


Welfare, Community & Diversity

Nathan Wyatt


your welfare support

Hi everyone, it’s been a hectic few weeks, but I hope you’re all settling in (or back in!) to life in Norwich. It’s important that we always look after ourselves and one another, so this is an introduction to some of the support available to you at UEA and uea(su).


Day-to-day Life


This SU service is made up of a team of trained and experienced advisers who can offer the guidance and support you need when you’re facing a problem. advice(su) is impartial, confidential, and non-judgemental. Whether you need help with housing, academic issues, or signposting towards the right wellbeing service for you, advice(su) is a great place to start when you’re not sure who to turn to.



The buddy(su) scheme matches new students with a returning student buddy volunteer. Buddies are trained to help you settle into university life; they can help you meet new friends and track down the answer to any questions you may have. buddy(su) runs events which help shape our student community and introduce the range of opportunities here at UEA.


Residential Life Team

The Residential Life Team is a branch of Student Services and consists of Residential Life Advisers (RLAs) and Student Services Residents (SSRs). Together RLAs and SSRs are available 24/7 to support you. SSRs can help you with anything related to residential life, from how to find services across campus to advice on resolving issues in your flat, whilst RLAs might help with longer-term wellbeing issues.


Hardship Fund

If you’re struggling with finances, you may want to book an appointment with a Financial Adviser at Student Support Services. They can advise you on the options available to you, which may include hardship funds.




Student Services

Student Services exists to help students have the best university experience possible by supporting you in any barriers you may face. Student Services is divided into three teams: Wellbeing, Student Life, and Learning Enhancement. They offer a talking therapies service which allows students to book a one-off appointment, with a wait-time of three days. In cases of longer-term mental health support, Student Services can refer you to the relevant local services.


Academic Advisers

Your Academic Adviser is a member of staff in your school who likely teaches on your course and is there to support student transitions as well as to support your wellbeing during your time at UEA. If they haven’t been already, your Adviser should be in touch in the next couple of weeks.


Faculty Embedded Teams

Student Services now has Embedded Teams in each faculty. These teams include Student Life Advisers and Wellbeing Advisers, who can help with non-academic queries, student life and wellbeing, signposting to support services, and issues affecting your studies. You can get in touch with your faculty’s Embedded Team via email, and members of the Embedded Teams are available to speak to in person at the Student Enquiry Point in the Arts Hub.



Academic Support

Learning Enhancement Team (LET)

The LET offers expert guidance on study skills, maths and statistics, academic writing, and use of English. They also provide specialist tuition for students with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs).


Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL)

PAL is run by students, for students, and is a great way to access academic support. PAL Mentors meet with their mentees either one-to-one or in small groups to offer course-specific academic guidance and more general pastoral support.


And of course, you’re always welcome to get in touch with me with wider welfare concerns at UEA, or if you’re not sure where best to go for guidance, and make sure your voice gets heard.