Welcome to UEA Pole Fitness!
We are a group of enthusiastic, friendly people who welcome beginners through to experienced polers to join us. We encourage members of any gender, age, ability, etc. to join us – we welcome everyone! We are proud to announce we were Runners Up for Club and Committee of the Year 2020.
When do we train?
- Each pole fitness lesson lasts one hour and is every Sunday between 1-6pm in Congregation Hall 01.20.
- We have Thursday practice sessions from 7:00pm - 10:00 pm for all levels of members!
- We also hold Strength & Flexibilty classes on Mondays 8:30 - 10:00 pm.
What are classes like?
Please make sure you turn up at least 10 minutes before your lesson starts so we can start on time. Classes start with a warm-up to prepare your body and prevent injury. Our amazing Instructor Rhianna-Lily Smith will demonstrate a variety of moves and break them down into manageable parts for you to try. The lesson ends with a cool down to reduce soreness and improve flexibility. Classes have a maximum of 18 people but can vary in size depending on demand. Each class is 50 minutes long. We have 3 Beginners classes (1-3pm), 1 Intermediate class (4pm) and an Advanced class (5pm). Classes will change in January as people progress throughout the year (times TBC).
But I'm not that strong or fit, will I be able to take part?
Of course! Most of us have never tried Pole Fitness before coming to UEA and classes are specifically designed to increase your strength and flexibility over the weeks. We all have to start somewhere... and our club is a great place to start!
What do I wear and what can’t I wear?
We recommend you wear shorts as the skin on your legs is needed to grip the pole and a vest or T-shirt. A lot of people worry about wearing shorts, but we come in all shapes and sizes and are a judgement-free zone, so most people end up wondering why they worried in the first place! If you're still unsure of what to wear, please check out the Birds of Dereham website where we have a kit available under the ‘Sports Specific’ Section! Our crop tops will be available to order on this UEA SU Page in products. You can find other items of clothing such as leggings, jumpers, and t-shirts under the general UEA sports category.
To avoid injury to yourself and damage to the poles, please don’t apply lotions, tanning products or any type of moisturiser before class. These make the poles slippery and can be dangerous. Jewellery must not be worn as it can damage the poles.
Do I need to bring anything else to classes?
Bring a bottle of water to keep you hydrated and some pole grip if you have any! We provide flannels for drying your hands. We are proud to say we are a club aiming to be more sustainable so we encourage you to use reusable bottles during classes.
When are your taster sessions?
Our taster sessions dates will be on the 2nd October & 9th October 2022, please keep an eye out on our social media for more information! They will last 50 minutes but please make sure to turn up 10 minutes before your taster so we can sign you in! They will be held in Cong Hall 01.20. More details will be available closer to the time. If you book onto a slot please make sure to turn up - this is because our tasters are in such high demand. We do not tolerate any no-shows so please let us know if you can't make it on the day.
What happens at practice?
Our Thursday practices give you the chance to have a go at what you have been taught in your previous lessons and socialise with members across the club! It's perfect for improving your strength and making new friends. They will be ticketed (but free) on the SU website so that we can keep track of numbers.
What's involved with the strength & flexibility sessions?
We hold Strength & Flexibility sessions on Mondays 8:30 - 10:00 pm (45 min slots) held by our coach Chloe Rowlatt. You will be allocated a time slot after buying a Strength and Flexibility membership. Membership for the year is £25. Our classes aim to improve your strength and flexibility such as for holds, splits and back-bends through a variety of exercises. Equipment such as mats, blocks, and bands will be provided - all you need to bring is yourself and some water!
What about workshops and choreography?
We aim to provide several subsidised workshops from external coaches throughout the year, as well as masterclasses! You can look forward to choreography, floor work, chairography, and more!
What socials and other events do you do?
We offer a variety of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic socials. We will have lots of fancy dress themes for nights out, laid back pizza evenings, laser tag, and more! We look forward to returning to in-person socials this year, however, this is of course subject to change.
Throughout the year we also have many events, from our 24 Hour Pole-a-thon to our Showcase for all our members to get involved in, as well as our Winter and Summer Balls!
We also hold several masterclasses throughout the year - for example in 2018/19 Dan Rosen hosted several sessions with us which were great fun!
Do you have any competitions?
Yes! We compete in IUPDC South East Regionals as well as Derby Day which is a yearly sporting event against Essex University. We also hosted a new friendly competition in 2020 called the 'Scorpio Competition'! It has a similar format to Derby Day but invites university pole clubs from all across the East of England to compete. We encourage everyone from all levels to have a go at auditioning for these exciting competitions, with auditions usually being held in the first Semester.
Sophie Image (C) Zoé Kerboul, Toy Story Group Image (C) Nightbulb
- A yearlong membership from September is £15, and lessons cost £25 per semester. We ask you to pay upfront in a single payment per semester for lessons.
- Membership starting from January is £10 if you haven't bought the yearlong membership.
- Anyone who joins a UEA Sports Club also has to buy Sports Membership which contributes to the funding of the clubs. This year it is £55, and only needs to be bought once in the year. If you are buying Sports Membership in January, it is cheaper.
- Our Thursday practices are free to members as part of your membership.
- If you wish to take part in our flexibility and Strength & Conditioning classes they are £10 for the year. You must have also bought the £25 year long/£10 half-year membership to buy these. Choreography workshops will be on a less frequent basis and may require additional purchase.
- If you are unsure about what level (beginner, intermediate, advanced) you are suitable for please message our president Molly Cracknell, email us or DM our Twitter/Facebook/Instagram.
- We cannot offer a refund of membership if you choose not to show up to your lessons. This is because the place is reserved for you on our very high-demand course, which otherwise could have been given to someone else.
- Beginners; please note if you miss more than 2 lessons in a row in the first three weeks you will lose your place due to the pace at which we try to progress our members. Your place will be given to someone on the reserve list!
- We understand for HSC and Medical students it may be difficult to attend every lesson due to placement, therefore we are more lenient in terms of attendance.
When does membership go on sale?
Memberships are on sale now! Do purchase them quickly as as our classes are in such high demand!
Remember everyone was a beginner once!
Sometimes people are nervous about starting pole fitness with issues of fitness or flexibility, especially regarding upper body strength. But don't worry! Your upper body strength and overall fitness will improve throughout the lessons, developing as you learn.
We hope to see you soon! x
||Tia Mackay and Libby Smith-Howell
|Equality & Diversity Officer
|Health & Safety Officer
|Fundraising & Sponsorship
|Union Council Rep
|First Year Rep
If you have an unanswered question about the UEA Pole Fitness Club, please don’t hesitate to contact one of the committee members or simply message the Facebook/Instagram/Twitter page.
- Instagram: @ueapf
- Twitter: @polefitnessuea
- Facebook: UEA Pole Fitness